[PlanetCCRMA] jack-dssi-host

Samuel Sieb samuel at sieb.net
Tue Dec 7 14:01:02 PST 2010

Len wrote:
> Sorry if this is a bit off-topic, but does anyone know how to keep Network Manager from re-writing /etc/hosts on each reboot?  The gui for dssi clients (hexter, fluidsynth-dssi, etc) will only appear if the hostname is associated with localhost in /etc/hosts, but nm keeps modifying the file and overwriting my changes.

That sounds like a bug in the clients or the gui (not familiar with the
application).  Do you have an explanation for why it has that requirement?

On my computer, NM adds an entry with the external IP address mapping to
my hostname with a comment saying not to remove that because it will
break things.  Why do you want your hostname to resolve to localhost?
Just use "localhost" instead.

Note that I am using F14 and there is also an entry with my hostname
mapping to the IPV6 localhost address but I don't know how long it has
been there.