[PlanetCCRMA] jack-dssi-host

Len lenb_99 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 8 05:26:04 PST 2010

--- On Wed, 12/8/10, Sean Bolton <smbolton at jps.net> wrote:

From: Sean Bolton <smbolton at jps.net>
Subject: Re: [PlanetCCRMA] jack-dssi-host
To: planetccrma at ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Date: Wednesday, December 8, 2010, 12:21 AM

On Dec 7, 2010, at 2:01 PM, Samuel Sieb wrote:
> Len wrote:
>> Sorry if this is a bit off-topic, but does anyone know how to keep
>> Network Manager from re-writing /etc/hosts on each reboot?  The
>> gui for dssi clients (hexter, fluidsynth-dssi, etc) will only
>> appear if the hostname is associated with localhost in /etc/hosts,
>> but nm keeps modifying the file and overwriting my changes.
>>
> That sounds like a bug in the clients or the gui (not familiar with
> the
> application).  Do you have an explanation for why it has that
> requirement?

The problem can affect almost any application that uses liblo, a library
which many DSSI hosts and plugins, as well as other audio applications,
use for OSC communication.

liblo needs to generate a URL for the application that is (hopefully)
resolvable by the local machine and any remote clients that may try to
use it.  Arguably, liblo does the "right thing" to do this, and it works
just fine on correctly configured systems.  Unfortunately, this quite
often breaks on otherwise functional systems.  Most often the problem is
that the machine's hostname is not resolvable, e.g.:

$ hostname
mickey
$ ping mickey
ping: unknown host mickey

> Why do you want your hostname to resolve to localhost?

The hostname doesn't need to resolve to localhost, but it does need to
resolve to the address of one of the machine's network interfaces. But
since the easiest way to advise a newbie how to fix a broken system is
just to say "add your hostname to the 'localhost' line of /etc/hosts",
many people incorrectly have come to think it does need to point to
localhost.

Anyway, hope that helps.  I don't have any advice on NetworkManager,
since I don't run it.

-Sean
Yes, quite right - the machine name only needs to be resolvable, it does not need to resolve to locahost.  My mistake.

Len