[PlanetCCRMA] Running a Lenovo ThinkPad R400 or T400 on a Fedora12/CCRMA setup

Len lenb_99 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 20 18:44:44 PST 2010

--- On Mon, 12/20/10, linux media 4 <linuxmedia4 at netscape.net> wrote:

From: linux media 4 <linuxmedia4 at netscape.net>
Subject: Re: [PlanetCCRMA] Running a Lenovo ThinkPad R400 or T400 on a Fedora12/CCRMA setup
To: planetccrma at ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Date: Monday, December 20, 2010, 9:29 PM

> Hi,
>
> My friend did all the hardware guru research on the Lenovo ThinkPad T400
> and R400, and I would like to add it here in case anyone would like to
> look at all the models out there that are on EBay. He worked with me
> while keeping in mind my audio needs, current CCRMA Kernel I'm running
> (2.6.31.12-1.rt20.1.fc12.ccrma.i686.rtPAE) and any other important issues.
>
> The most important thing to remember is that if you want to know what
> the exact internals of a laptop are, you have to get the "part number".
> Some EBay sellers will include these numbers. For instance, the part
> number of the R400 (that I bought) is 7438-PAU, so he googled that and
> came up with this spec page...
>
> http://www.superwarehouse.com/Lenovo_ThinkPad_R400_7438PAU_Notebook/7438PAU/ps/1564243
>
> He also explained that if you see the letters "CTO" in the part number,
> that means "Configured To Order". So it's much more questionable as to
> what's in the machine.
>
> This R400 has the dual-stack PCMCIA/Expresscard setup. This is important
> to me because I already have a PCMCIA Firewire Card that I know works
> and there's a limited amount of firewire controlers that work well with
> the FFADO drivers. And of course, everything's moving to express card,
> so that's also good to have. I will find out if the built-in firewire
> port works with the FFADO drivers when the laptop is delivered.

yessirree... the firewire port *does* work in the R400. I played with it
for about a half an hour and there's possibilities there may be glitches
that come up later, but so far, it seemed to work flawlessly.

Currently I'm running ffado 2.0.1-3.20100706.svn1864.fc12

Can you find out what chipset the firewire interface uses (i.e., is it
Texas Instruments)?  Usually, from what I've read, the TI chipsets are
the ones that seem to work best for linux audio.

Thanks,

Len