[PlanetCCRMA] Jack+FFADO not running on CCRMA/Fedora14

linux media 4 linuxmedia4 at netscape.net
Thu Dec 30 01:27:26 PST 2010

On 12/29/2010 02:19 AM, linux media 4 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been googling this for a while. Time to ask the list...
>
> ==================
> First the details...
>
> bash>  yum list jack-audio-connection-kit
> Installed Packages
> jack-audio-connection-kit.i686  1.9.6-2.fc14
>
> bash>  yum list ffado
> Installed Packages
> ffado.i686   2.1.0-0.1.20101015.svn1913.fc14
> ==================
>
> Jack+Alsa runs fine but when I run Jack+FFADO with (and) without
> realtime privileges, neither start...
>
> bash>  /usr/bin/jackd -dfirewire -r96000 -p512 -n3
> jackdmp 1.9.6
> Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
> Copyright 2004-2010 Grame.
> jackdmp comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
> under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details
> Cannot create thread 1 Operation not permitted
> Cannot create thread 1 Operation not permitted
> JACK server starting in realtime mode with priority 60
> Cannot lock down memory area (Cannot allocate memory)
> Cannot create thread 1 Operation not permitted
> ERROR: messagebuffer not initialized: 09186713744:  (ffado.cpp)[  92]
> ffado_streaming_init: libffado 2.999.0- built Oct 15 2010 07:48:37
> firewire ERR: FFADO: Error creating virtual device
> Cannot attach audio driver
> JackServer::Open() failed with -1
> Failed to start server

I found a solution, but I was following a couple of posts here and just
couldn't get things working right. So I found some posts online from
different distibutions. Fernando, could you tell me if this fix will
conflict with how you're setting things up in CCRMA/Fedora14 (or will be
setting things up in the future).

This first one comes from a post by Fernando...
I created the file...

/etc/security/limits.d/90-jack.conf

With the contents...

###  START FILE  ###
# Planet CCRMA, jack-audio-connection-kit
#
# Allow processes access to rt priority and memory locking
# without limits, needed by the rt kernel and jackd
*	-	rtprio	99
*	-	memlock	4194304
*	-	nice	-10
###  END FILE  ###

This second one was from my google searches...

I created the file:
/lib/udev/rules.d/50-raw-firewire.rules

I copied this into the file:
KERNEL=="raw1394", NAME="raw1394", GROUP="audio"

I added myself to the group 'audio'

This exact thing happened (and the same fix was applied) to my
CCRMA/Fedora12 system. I'm wondering if I'm the only one having these
problems, or are others also but they apply fixes and don't post them.
It would seem odd if I'm the only one (two times in a row).

Thanks,
Rocco