[PlanetCCRMA] Problem with qjackctl in Fedora 14

Thu Dec 30 11:11:31 PST 2010

On 12/30/2010 10:47 AM, Orcan Ogetbil wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 1:17 PM, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
>> On 12/30/2010 09:59 AM, Orcan Ogetbil wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> Sorry I have been busy lately with real life and my upstream projects,
>>> and I didn't spend much time on packaging lately (except I built the
>>> new qjackctl-0.3.7 recently). I hope you figured things out by now.

>>> Typo? It should be 99-jack.conf. Otherwise pam won't read it.

>>> The documentation says: "The files are parsed one after another in the
>>> order of "C" locale."
>>>
>>> That means 99 beats 90. Unfortunately, I did set the conf file that
>>> comes with jack to 99. I was probably assuming the other way around.
>>> Should I pull that number down in the jack package so the
>>> corresponding PlanetCCRMA package can override?
>>
>> It would be nice to have that option, 99 precludes anyone else from changing
>> the priority (I had not noticed that).
>>
>>> Of course, you can
>>> give RT priorities to all users, then 99-jack.conf file won't do
>>> anything. But this would be insecure, right?
>>
>> Yes, it would open the door to denial of service attacks, for example. But
>> for a "normal" audio workstation with trusted users that would be of little
>> consequence (others surely will disagree).
>>
>> I have to see what I can do to change things in the rt patched kernel and
>> rtirq so that it is possible to use it with the reduced (arbitrary) priority
>> of 20.
>>

> Let me know what comes out. I might get yelled at if I update the F-14
> jack package just with this change, because of these new updates
> policies.

It is a pain, right? I find this all a bit ironic as Fedora has never
been too concerned about stability or major changes that break things.

> Is there any other fixes, patches that I can throw in and
> that would be nice to have?

Let me think a bit about this. We will eventually need something that
allows us to change the directory where jack stores the fifos and
sockets but that is probably in the fc15 time frame (and it may be
included in newer versions of jack).

I'm trying to see how to do the rt priorities through udev, does not
seem too easy (I have to somehow link the sound device to the irq pid so
that I can use chrt to reorder priorities...)

> By the way I am glad that our utsname.version "PREEMPT RT" hack works
> for everyone.

Yes, that seems to be working fine.