[PlanetCCRMA] CCRMA / Fedora 12 / jack / ffado install problem

Niels Mayer nielsmayer at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 13:09:46 PST 2010

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 11:02 AM, <clifffiedler at comcast.net> wrote:

> I made a fresh fc-12 x86_64 install following the instructions at:
>
> http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/gaming-games-multimedia-entertainment/156962-installing-planetccrma-fedora-12-a.html
> It mostly seems to work (Nvidia drivers fixed the blank screen, the fc-12
> packages loaded OK from the fc-11 install utility) but I can't keep jack
> running. Maybe you can give me a hint?
> firewire ERR: FFADO: Error creating virtual device
> Cannot attach audio driver
> Jack: JackDriver::Close

I had this exact same problem trying to get FFADO running with jack, for the
purpose of resurrecting my old MOTU 828 (mk I) which is supposed to work
according to http://www.ffado.org/?q=usage/bydevice ....

After giving up on FFADO until Fedora 13, I then tried to use jackd with
ALSA and my builtin soundcard  -- all had worked previously prior to
upgrading to the ccrma jackd -- and it failed with a similar message.  My
unfounded gut-feeling suspicion was that the ccrma jackd was not working
compatibly alongside f12 HAL devices and special permissions needed for
groups 'audio' or 'rtkit' )perhaps).

To solve the issue I deinstalled the planetccrma repo and used "yum
downgrade jack-audio-connection-kit
jack-audio-connection-kit-example-clients" to revert
to the original fedora jack (I'm sure there's a better way of doing this w/o
removing the CCRMA repo from /etc/yum.repos.d/, but i just wanted to make
music...):
Feb  2 00:24:09 gnulem yum: Erased: planetccrma-repo
Feb  2 00:25:10 gnulem yum: Installed:
jack-audio-connection-kit-0.118.0-1.fc12.x86_64
Feb  2 00:25:12 gnulem yum: Installed:
jack-audio-connection-kit-0.118.0-1.fc12.i686
Feb  2 00:25:13 gnulem yum: Installed:
jack-audio-connection-kit-example-clients-0.118.0-1.fc12.x86_64

Prior, I had installed these programs to try out FFADO on F12:
Feb  1 12:54:09 gnulem yum: Updated:
jack-audio-connection-kit-1.9.4-1.fc12.ccrma.x86_64
Feb  1 12:54:10 gnulem yum: Installed: libsamplerate-0.1.7-2.fc12.i686
Feb  1 12:54:12 gnulem yum: Installed: celt-0.7.0-1.fc12.i686
Feb  1 12:54:12 gnulem yum: Updated:
jack-audio-connection-kit-example-clients-1.9.4-1.fc12.ccrma.x86_64
Feb  1 12:54:15 gnulem yum: Updated:
jack-audio-connection-kit-1.9.4-1.fc12.ccrma.i686
Feb  1 12:56:50 gnulem yum: Installed: libxml++-2.26.0-2.fc12.x86_64
Feb  1 12:56:51 gnulem yum: Installed: libffado-2.0.0-1.fc12.ccrma.x86_64
Feb  1 12:56:53 gnulem yum: Installed: ffado-2.0.0-1.fc12.ccrma.x86_64

After reverting back to the original jack. I was able to get it working
again with ALSA and "stock" F12.

I've attached notes I took, and conclusions reached after trying to get
FFADO working on F12.

http://subversion.ffado.org/ticket/248

http://subversion.ffado.org/ticket/261

> Basically, need to wait for Kernel 2.6.32 and libraw-2.05 (currently 2.6.31
> and libraw-2.04), aka fedora 13??

> http://osdir.com/ml/fedora-package-review/2010-01/msg00733.html

--- Comment #11 from Jay Fenlason <fenlason at xxxxxxxxxx> 2010-01-07 15:40:04

EDT ---

Rawhide now has a sufficiently new libraw1394 (2.0.5-1.fc13) to work with

ffado. There's at least a small chance we can get this into f13, if we
> hurry.

> http://subversion.ffado.org/ticket/240

> 01/01/10 14:18:26 changed by arnonym

> status changed from assigned to closed.

resolution set to fixed.

To the best of my knowledge ffado should work with kernel 2.6.32 and
> libraw1394 2.0.5 (not yet released). At least it should work within the
> limits of the new stack ;-) ...but these are worked on.

> http://markmail.org/message/ririr4rh3mjwvk6t might be the ultimate answer:

> They all install fine from Planet CCRMA / Fedora for fc10 (but see

below). With the Planet CCRMA kernel and fc10 I got an edirol fa-101 to

work fine.

> Sigh. Firewire. Fedora. Sigh. Faado will only work with the Planet CCRMA

kernel because the Fedora kernel still insists in shipping with the new

stack only. Read this, written on Dec 2008:

>   http://ieee1394.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Juju_Migration

> From that page:

> "Don't use the new drivers in Linux kernel versions older than 2.6.27.5.

They are too buggy.

> Regarding Linux 2.6.27.5 and later, the best advice to Linux

distributors (kernel packagers) as well as to regular users is: Either

build only the old IEEE 1394 drivers, or build both stacks as modules

but make sure that only one of them (the one you want) is being loaded.

I.e. create proper blacklist entries in /etc/modprobe.conf; see below.

Also, you need to upgrade your userland to libraw1394 v2 if you want to

switch to the new drivers (or freely between old and new drivers)."

> Of course Fedora broke this a long long time ago. Fc7, I think. It is

now fc10 and audio firewire support is still broken. By now any users

needing firewire audio with Planet CCRMA have probably migrated away to

better lands, so who cares anyway. At least libraw1394 is now 2.x and it

can work transparently with both stacks (even more hacks were needed

before fc10).

> It sounds like the RT patches aren't maintained though, is this right?

> Yes and no. There are two "official" patches for 2.6.24.x and 2.6.26.x

kernels. The former is the most stable but too old a kernel to actually

work with fc9 and fc10 (X dies). And there are no patches for 2.6.27.x

and beyond. Work is underway (AFAIK) on a new rt tree so we may see a

new set of patches in the 2.6.28.x timeframe. In the meanwhile 2.6.26.x

has seen a few crucial fixes happen recently, most notably a fix for the

long standing broken midi i/o. There are still issues and I have seen it

lock hard.

> Hope this helps clarify the situation.

> http://ieee1394.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Juju_Migration clarifies
> further:

> libraw1394

At the time of this writing (January 2010), libraw1394 v2.0.5 is the current
> release and also the recommended stable release for use with the new
> firewire drivers.

Compatibility with the new drivers is available since libraw1394 v2.0.0,
> released in July 2008. This version is able to transparently switch between
> old and new stack, depending on which drivers you have loaded. Bug fixes
> related to usage with the new kernel drivers followed in v2.0.x sub-releases
> during 2009.

Either get the latest libraw1394 2.x release, or build libraw1394 from a
> fresh git checkout:

> New stack working about as well as the old stack

Audio devices:

FireWire studio audio devices, driven by the Linux FireWire audio framework
> FFADO, can only be used with the new drivers if you upgrade to kernel 2.6.32
> or later and to libraw1394 2.0.5 or later.

To use more than one audio device at once, kernel 2.6.33-rc3 or later might
> possibly be required.

The firedtv kernel driver for FireWire DVB devices has been adapted to the
> new driver stack only recently in 2.6.33-rc1, i.e. users of older kernels
> still need the old stack in order to make use of FireDTV boxes and FloppyDTV
> cards.

IP over 1394 support has been added to the new stack in kernel 2.6.31. IP

-- Niels "back to skulking on e-bay for a used 1010LT or ESI Juli@" Mayer.
http://nielsmayer.com