[PlanetCCRMA] [Rosegarden-user] VST plugins [Re: ROSEGARDEN 10.02 RELEASED!]

Martin Tarenskeen m.tarenskeen at zonnet.nl
Thu Feb 18 08:23:46 PST 2010

On Thu, 18 Feb 2010, Jim Cochrane wrote:
> Martin Tarenskeen <m.tarenskeen at zonnet.nl> wrote:

>> I have found some really nice free VST instrument plugins on the
>> internet that actually work with dssi-vst (not all of them do) via
>> the vsthost commandline app that comes with the dssi-vst-0.8

> Would you mind sending the URL, or how to find it, for these VST
> plugins?  I'm interested, and I suspect others on this list would also
> be interested in trying these out.

OK. Here's a selection of some of my favorite Windows VST plugins that
are running succesfully on my Fedora box. Before complaining "They don't
work" read some docs, and be sure to correctly install wine, dssi, jack,
and dssi-vst. Also don't forget to set an environment variable VST_PATH
containing the location(s) where dssi-vst has to look for the VST *.dll
files. If the plugin is distributed in the form of a windows installer
(*.exe), run this using wine and choose a destination for the plugin
somewhere in your VST_PATH during installation.

*** Windows VST instrument plugins running nicely ***
***      on my Fedora 12 / PlanetCCRMA box        ***

- Togu Audio Line (TAL) offers some really nice analog synth emulations
and effects. Check out that nice Roland SH-101 clone ( TAL-BassLine )
Juno-60 ( TAL-U-No-62 ) and a powerful fat leadsynth called TAL-Elek7ro.
You can find this and more at http://kunz.corrupt.ch/?Products

- PhadiZ is a softsynth based on the Phase Distortion synthesis known from
the Casio CZ series. Go to http://www.algomusic.net/freeware.html to get
it.

- You have to try the SUPERWAVEP8.
Go to http://home.btconnect.com/christopherg

- I like the simple classic design and good sound of ASynth. Go to
http://antti.smartelectronics.com. I also found a Taurus VST. Modelled
after the legendary floorpedal-Basssynth.

- Also take a look at http://www.bostreammail.net/ers/vstplugins.html.
PolyIblit and Iblit are great synths.

- Looking for decent sounding, free, piano and e-piano plugins ? Go to
http://mda.smartelectronics.com and look for mda Piano and mda ePiano.
These mda plugins are also available as Linux native VST plugins. But I
have never tried linux native vst plugins. There just aren't many
available. And I don't know how to use them.

- There is much more. Google for "Free VST plugins" and you will find
many. Try and you find that some of them crash, some of them only look
good but give no sound, some of them give sound but the GUI isn't working,
and some of them work perfectly. Just try.

Have fun!

--

Martin