[PlanetCCRMA] audio breaking and cpu load?

Mon Feb 22 13:10:47 PST 2010

On Mon, 2010-02-22 at 10:52 -0800, Oded Ben-Tal wrote:
> I am trying to understand why I'm experiencingaudible breaks with audio.
> I'm running FC10 with a firewire card (SaffireLE). I'm running a somewhat
> complicated pd patch but, as far as I could test, each component in it
> works fine but when they're combined I sometimes get problems. I already
> tried to economise on processing in Pd (for example removing graphic
> elements).
> But I also noticed that when I'm running only jack and Pd (no patch open
> and dsp off) my cpuload is still around 30%. The machine is not very old
> (1 YO thinkpad).
> Any ideas where to look for more savings?

What do you see if you run "top"? What is eating up cpu? (what is your
period size in jack?) And what happens when you start your pd patches?
If the load is getting close to, say, 80%, then any spikes in processing
will trigger xruns.