[PlanetCCRMA] yum update

Niels Mayer nielsmayer at gmail.com
Sun Feb 28 12:45:29 PST 2010

On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 11:50 PM, Orcan Ogetbil <oget.fedora at gmail.com>wrote:

> Thanks Niels for the extensive feedback. I am sure many people
> appreciate it. Do you mind if I forward this to the rosegarden
> developers?

More thanks in return for helping Fedora get the latest rosegarden goodness.
It's really an amazing program to complement this amazing OS. There's no
reason to get a PC or a Mac anymore, or spend hundreds on software, hundreds
more updating, and constant "do I dare upgrade to SP3 now that everything
works" worries...  with fedora and rosegarden and all the plugin synths and
midi support that it provides, who needs 'em!

And of course, you can send my feedback back to the RG developers. No need
to ask permission since it's public information, widely available on the
web:
http://old.nabble.com/Re:-yum-update-ts27726420.html

Regarding Rosegarden, now that it has an up-to-date interface, I'm less
inclined to keep trying out other competing programs like qtractor or muse.
Actually, I usually do, especially if I see a major update, but invariably
application, it might be worthwhile looking at how a native Qt app like
Qtractor looks versus a "ported" app.

Oh, one small bug I noticed. If you put your mouse over the icon at the RHS
of the status bar along the bottom, it suggests its display is setup in
"slow" mode. Going to settings, I checked, and it was set to "fast"
mode....

In the future, to ensure total world domination, I think the rosegarden
developers should consider integrating http://www.vamp-plugins.org/ .
I think having some time-synchronous automatic analysis and annotation on a
per-audio track basis would be very helpful.
Also spectral and/or sonogram displays similar to "spectral editing" feature
in  http://www.adobe.com/products/audition/

Here's some of my work w/ providing such interfaces with a web interface (
soon launching on http://trainspodder.com )
http://nielsmayer.com/trainspodder-prototype.jpg
http://nielsmayer.com/trainspodder-prototype-2009-10-16.jpg
http://nielsmayer.com/prototype-11-17-2009.jpg