[PlanetCCRMA] RT Kernel Crash

Tracey Hytry shakti at bayarea.net
Sat Jul 3 03:32:11 PDT 2010

> After some experimenting, I removed abrt.  Viola!  No more crashes, or
> do we think that it's just that there are no more messages and the
> crashes are still occurring?  In any case, the system runs beautifully.
> What do we make of this?

So very strange, I have no idea what to make of it.
A bug reporting tool is buggy and causes crashes?
That would be very funny!

Seriously,  all of the kernel dumps will end up in /var/log/messages.

Open a xterm, go to it every so often and type dmesg to see if anything bad is happening kernel side.

The "messages" file is r/w root only, so to see that you need to log root into the xterm.
To see the end of "/var/log/messages" do "tail -n 50 /var/log/messages"

You can keep your eye on the system by leaving a xterm open and in root run the command:
tailf /var/log/messages

I read what I could find of the man pages on abrt, and I googled for it and read the info pages.
Abrt seems like a nice tool, but it also seems to depend on a lot of other things.
If it or something it depends on is buggy, I have no idea?
I think in your case it would be best to watch the system yourself as listed above.

Tracey.