[PlanetCCRMA] 64bit vs 32bit

Fri Mar 12 16:51:29 PST 2010

On Fri, 2010-03-12 at 22:48 +0100, Henrik Frisk wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I know this discussion has been held to some extent on this list and
> quite frequently on the Fedora list, but I really need some advice
> here. When I bought my new laptop (MacBook Pro 5,2) last summer I
> installed FC11 x86_64 thinking that was the better choice. I'm not so
> sure anymore and I'm thinking about 'downgrading' to 32 bit. The main
> reason is there is software I like that doesn't come in a 64-bit
> versions in addition to the fact that I can't seem to get the CCRMA RT
> kernel running. Getting the RT kernel working is a priority for me
> because I can't seem to get decent performance from the Fedora kernel
> (2.6.30.10-105.2.23.fc11.x86_64). Constant troubles with flash/flex
> and other proprietary software that I smoetimes depend on adds to the
> frustration.
>

> Any thoughts/suggestions? If I decide to reinstall, should I go for
> FC11 or FC12 32-bit? Or, is FC12 64-bit "better" than FC11 (from what
> I cant tell it is not, but I may be wrong here)?

I'd install fc12 although I have not yet remade the planetccrma-apps
meta package. Newer kernels mean better support for newer hardware, I
don't know if that is the case with your macbook (there's going to be a
2.6.33 based rt package very very soon).

At ccrma we still run 32 bit Fedora on all workstations...

> My priority is to get a laptop that is stable and with low enough
> latency to be useful in performance. I'm primarily working in Pd, Snd,
> Ardour, Audacity and Chuck and I'm about to replace my Edirol US25 USB
> interface with a RME Cardbus with a Multiface II.

Well, pd is not yet there for 64 bits (the latest pd-extended official
release, not the plain pd which I think may be happy in 64 bit envs).
And chuck is still happy only in 32 bit land. It may be possible to
install and run the 32 bit binaries in a 64 bit environment but I have
not tried (and will not try :-)

So that may decide the issue for you...