[PlanetCCRMA] about Fedora updates

Sat Mar 13 16:44:58 PST 2010

On Sat, 2010-03-13 at 15:12 -0800, Niels Mayer wrote:
> Fernando -- Thank you for your help! I had long fixed the issues with
> improper parameters to Jack, so your message forced me to revisit all
> my old assumptions regarding CCRMA's Jack by re-adding CCRMA to my
> repos and updating to
>   jack-audio-connection-kit.i686 0:1.9.4-1.fc12.ccrma
>
>   jack-audio-connection-kit.x86_64 0:1.9.4-1.fc12.ccrma
>
>   jack-audio-connection-kit-example-clients.x86_64
> 0:1.9.4-1.fc12.ccrma
>

> This Jack now starts correctly, but outputs a concerning error
> message; however it works, and worked beautifully until it crashed
> along with rosegarden in the "is it really realtime" part of my test.
> While running, it gave fewer of those inconsequential Xruns that I get
> whenever I have jack playing back music and decide to type an email
> message in gmail.
>

> The concerning error message is "Cannot use real-time scheduling
> (RR/60)(1: Operation not permitted) // AcquireSelfRealTime error"
> Prior, it says "JACK server starting in realtime mode with priority
> 60."

The Planet CCRMA jack installs some lines in
the /etc/security/limits.conf file that allows all users to access
SCHED_FIFO/RR scheduling - the Fedora jack relies on you being part of
the jackuser group. It looks like you don't have that (caveat: you may
have it, after installing the Planet CCRMA jack package you have to
logout and then login again for that change to take effect).

Check /etc/security/limits.conf to see if there are lines added at the
end by the Planet CCRMA jack. You should see something like:

----
## Automatically appended by the Planet CCRMA jack-audio-connection-kit
* - rtprio 99
* - memlock 4194304
* - nice -10
----