[PlanetCCRMA] Any 3d midi controlled audio mixer using HRTFs?

Niels Mayer nielsmayer at gmail.com
Sat Mar 13 22:04:32 PST 2010

This update to jconvolver got me thinking... is there any kind of
midi-controlled
HRTF<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head-related_transfer_function>
  or 3d-audio <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_audio_effect> audio-mixer
jack plugin available??

It would be cool to be able to use midi CC's to mix multiple soundstreams in
3d space using HRTF's to output a strereo image with acoustic positional
cues.

Back in the day, you'd have to use expensive hardware like Roland's
Soundspace<http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.php?ProductId=411> ,
SRS <http://emusician.com/signalprocessors/emusic_srs_labs_pro/>, or
Qsound<http://www.qsound.com/demos/3d-audio.htm> .
Nowadays, I bet you could mix multiple channels of audio in 3d space using
just a fast processor as DSP. E.g http://www.grmtools.org/index.html
http://www.3dsoundstore.com/www-3dsoundstore-com/product-qcreator.asp etc.

Seems like this was all the rage back in the day for human-computer
interaction work. Nowadays, HRTFs are built into game soundcard DSPs and
used for positional audio in games. However, it's not used for music, nor is
it used for useful audio applications: e.g. a teleconferencing system where
each participant is 3d-positioned around a virtual conference table so that
you hear where they're actually sitting at the virtual conference table as
their position-associated avatar activates to indicate speaking. (This was
actually a research project I was doing a long time ago at HP Labs before
they laid off the entire multimedia technology lab).

Niels
http://nielsmayer.com

PS: Somwhere I have a roland-soundspace demo disk that I picked up at an
AES. I found it somewhat interesting to drop the demos into a sampler and
have notes coming from different places. Note that your brain takes some
time to process 3d; fast notes lose their "dimensionality." Sounds with long
tails are easier to localize.