[PlanetCCRMA] Rosegarden dssi and lv2 search paths needed help on fc12.x86_64

Julius Smith jos at ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Sun Oct 31 10:46:00 PDT 2010

At 07:13 PM 10/30/2010, Orcan Ogetbil wrote:
>On Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 7:26 PM, Julius Smith wrote:
> > Hi All,
> > Out of the box, rosegarden was not able to find any of the dssi or lv2
> > plugins on my Fedora 12 / PlanetCCRMA 64-bit
> system. Â The following symlinks
> > worked around the problem:
> > ln -s /usr/lib64/dssi /usr/lib/dssi
> > ln -s /usr/lib64/lv2 /usr/lib/lv2
> > I don't know what needs to be fixed, but I was surprised to find nothing
> > about this when searching the Web regarding "rosegarden dssi lv2 search
> > path" (hence my post). Â What saved me was
> rosegarden's printout "discovering
> > plugins; path is ...".
>
>What version of rosegarden are you using?
>rpm -qa |grep rosegarden

I get the following:

rpm -qa |grep rosegarden

rosegarden4-10.04.2-1.fc12.x86_64
rosegarden4-parmesan-fonts-10.04.2-1.fc12.noarch
rosegarden4-feta-fonts-10.04.2-1.fc12.noarch

According to yum, these are my only choices:

yum search rosegarden

rosegarden4-feta-fonts.x86_64 : Rosegarden feta fonts
rosegarden4-feta-fonts.noarch : Rosegarden feta fonts
rosegarden4-parmesan-fonts.x86_64 : Rosegarden parmesan fonts
rosegarden4-parmesan-fonts.noarch : Rosegarden parmesan fonts
rosegarden4.x86_64 : MIDI, audio and notation editor

>We have the following patch in the Fedora 12 package since February
>2010 (i.e. since rosegarden10 was released).
>http://tinyurl.com/2e2sqk9
>This fixes the dssi and ladspa plugin paths.

Hmmm, my system should be up to date:

   uname -a

   Linux myhost 2.6.32.21-168.fc12.x86_64 #1 SMP
Wed Sep 15 16:12:07 UTC 2010 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Shouldn't the patch come in with my Fedora updates?

>For rosegarden-1.5.1 to 1.7.3 we used this patch (between May 2007-
>February 2010)
>http://tinyurl.com/2bq92d6
>
>I am not sure why the plugins don't work for you, but symlinking is
>not a good solution. Links to 64bit binaries should not be in
>directories designated for 32 bit binaries. Instead, you can set
>LADSPA_PATH and DSSI_PATH environment variables. However this should
>not be necessary since the above patches are supposed to find the
>correct plugin directories.

Thanks for the info - I will use the path
variables instead of symlinks.  However, it's
interesting to learn that this problem "can't happen" in Fedora 12.  Hmmm...

>As for the LV2, I am not sure what you are talking about. Rosegarden
>never supported lv2 directly. You can use some other jack/lv2 host to
>use them in rosegarden. See the thread called "lv2" in
>http://tinyurl.com/2ddjt2n

Thanks for the lv2 update - I thought would be
standard by now (having followed it well over a
year ago), and I have a good number of files in
/usr/lib64/lv2 from somewhere (which are
curiously correlated with the files in
/usr/lib64/ladspa - autotranslations?).  Maybe dssi is just good enough... :-)

Thanks!
Julius

>Orcan

Julius O. Smith III <jos at ccrma.stanford.edu>
Prof. of Music and Assoc. Prof. (by courtesy) of Electrical Engineering
CCRMA, Stanford University
http://ccrma.stanford.edu/~jos/