[PlanetCCRMA] Basic Newbie stuff

Sun Sep 5 18:49:09 PDT 2010

On Sun, 2010-09-05 at 21:24 -0400, Lloyd Hanson wrote:
> I've been following the list for years with a different email, but have
> never gotten serious about setting up a system.  Now I'm trying and
> failing miserably.
>
> Can anyone point me to a tutorial to get a Delta1010LT up and running?
>
> I started with a new machine consisting of:
> Asus M4N75TD mobo with Athlon II X4 635 CPU, 8 gigs of memory, ATI
> video, and a brand new Delta1010LT.
>
> Turned off the onboard sound chip in BIOS.  Blacklisted the Intel HDA
> HDMI chip in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
>
> I can get no audio from the system.
>
> I initially tried with FC13-64bit.  unsuccessful with that, so I wiped
> the drive and started over with FC12-64 bit.  Still no joy.
>
> Since then, I have moved the card to an existing WinXP machine and once
> the win drivers are installed it comes right up with audio out on line
> out 1 and 2.
>
> Also, installed another HD to the new box and installed Vista-64bit .
> Only thing I had to do there was change the default output from the
> SPDIF out to line out 1 and 2.
>
> cat /proc/asound/cards returns:
> $ cat /proc/asound/cards
>   0 [M1010LT        ]: ICE1712 - M Audio Delta 1010LT
>                        M Audio Delta 1010LT at 0xdc00, irq 19
>
> Any PlanetCCRMA for newbies pointers is greatly appreciated.

So the card is there and is being recognized. You should try to set
output levels using envy24control (you have to have alsa-tools
installed).

There is a tab for analog levels, make sure all outputs are up. And a
tab for output metering which could help to see if there's audio being
sent to the card. What are you using for testing?

I would fire up jack ("jackd -R -d alsa -d hw:0", or use qjackctl) and
then, for example, start Hydrogen, set it up to use jack, load one of
the demo patterns, connect things up in qjackctl and press play...