[PlanetCCRMA] Legato slur and midi

Stephen Stubbs theother1510 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Sep 7 06:12:50 PDT 2010

searching the web I  have seen it suggested that some midi synth engines
will produce slurred notes if you overlap them. I was thinking of
modifying a midi file to test this using fluid synth.
Before I do that can anybody out there tell me
1. Is this going to work and if so how much overlap should be applied?
2. Is there a better open source way of producing this effect.
3. Is it possible to control the attack/decay in line?
If not I'll probably just hack a short midi file with a hex editor.
Unless you know a better way?
Bob Smith

Have you checked into the Control Change commands and the continuous controllers
of your MIDI synth?

If the continuous controller called Pitch-Bend is available on your MIDI synth,
that would probably be the easiest method for slurring.

For attack and decay, maybe:
Sound Controller #3 (Number 72, range value 0-127) is for Release Time
Sound Controller #4 (Number 73, range value 0-127) is for Attack Time

HTH,
Stephen.