[PlanetCCRMA] fc13: alsa-tools, jconvolver

Jeff Sandys jpsandys at gmail.com
Sat Sep 18 16:53:05 PDT 2010

>> Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 11:22:27 -0700
>> From: Fernando Lopez-Lezcano <nando at ccrma.Stanford.EDU>
>> Subject: [PlanetCCRMA] fc13: alsa-tools, jconvolver
>>
>> Also... I released a version of akmod-nvidia (arghhh) in the
>> planetcore-testing repository that appears to compile the glue module
>> cleanly on rt kernels. Only tested _once_ in a new laptop[*], appears to
>> work but as you already know no support is possible at all for binary
>> drivers. I do see an rt related warning because of the nvidia driver but
>> video appears to work anyway (don't know for how long :-).
>>
>> Enjoy!
>> -- Fernando
>>
>> [*] while nouveau works fine and gives a nice graphical startup and a
>> nice display after boot, the latencies it induces are really really bad.
>> Hopefully it will evolve into better latencies...

How can you tell (scientifically) what nouveau's impact is on latency?

I'm running 16ms (3x256 at 48000) latency on my new laptop using
nouveau with fedora 13.  This is about the same as on my old laptop
using f12 and the nvidia akmod from rpmfusion.

I've seen some comments about audio latency issues with nouveau
and akmod-nvidia, and I know that nouveau and akmod-nvidia clash.
If nouveau is causing really bad audio latency, it should be reported.

Thanks for building the akmod for nvidia, and I hope your changes get
merged into rpmfusion.  I have been using the akmod since f10 with
no problems.  Except I had some problems with it on f13 on my new
laptop, so I switched to nouveau, and after I cleaned out all the
nvidia stuff it works fine.

-- Jeff Sandys