[PlanetCCRMA] firewire on CCRMA-Fedora-12

linux media 4 linuxmedia4 at netscape.net
Mon Sep 20 08:25:35 PDT 2010

Hi,

This week I installed CCRMA-Fedora-13 but had to abandon it because I
couldn't get the firewire driver working with my Focusright Saffire Pro
10 (the jack ports had long numerical names and wouldn't let certain
ports connect with other ports). I googled around for quite a while, but
found no solution.

So I installed CCRMA-Fedora-12. At first it was saying that it couldn't
find jack_firewire.so, but I found a post that mentioned that you have
to install libffado-devel (along with libffado of course). But now jackd
fails with the message:

bash> /usr/bin/jackd -dfirewire -r96000 -p1024 -n3
[CUT]
JACK server starting in realtime mode with priority 60
01345759929:  (ffado.cpp)[  92] ffado_streaming_init: libffado 2.999.0-
built Jul 18 2010 21:25:26
firewire ERR: FFADO: Error creating virtual device
Cannot attach audio driver
JackServer::Open() failed with -1
no message buffer overruns
Failed to start server

I did a bit of googling around tonight but ran out of time. Does anyone
know how to get this working?

Here are the details...

bash> uname -r
2.6.31.12-1.rt20.1.fc12.ccrma.i686.rtPAE

bash> yum list jack-audio-connection-kit
Installed Packages
jack-audio-connection-kit.i686  1.9.4-1.fc12.ccrma  @planetccrma

bash> yum list ffado
Installed Packages
ffado.i686  2.0.1-3.20100706.svn1864.fc12  @updates

bash> yum list libraw1394
Installed Packages  libraw1394.i686 2.0.5-2.fc12 @updates

Any ideas of how to get firewire working would be appreciated. I would
prefer to work with CCRMA-Fedora-12 because it's already up and running,
and besides, I couldn't get my wireless connection working with
CCRMA-Fedora-13.

Thanks,
Rocco