[PlanetCCRMA] pulseaudio-1.1-3

Brendan Jones brendan.jones.it at gmail.com
Fri Dec 30 08:26:24 PST 2011

On 11/26/2011 01:25 PM, Simon Lewis wrote:
> Just one of those aha experiences - not sure if anyone is interested but
> here it is anyway...
>
> On my fc15 x86_64 installation I built and installed pulseaudio-1.1 from
> the pulseaudio-1.1-3.fc17.src.rpm as found on
> "http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/".
>
> The main reason for doing this is the better emulation of alsa in
> pulseaudio-1.1 compared to pulseaudio-0.9.2x.
>
> Not only does pulseaudio run perfectly on top of jackd, but it is
> possible to route alsa only apps like sunvox into qtractor/ardour.
>
> To do this I needed the four scripts listed at the bottom of this e-mail.
>
> I used Qjackctl to run the scripts with the following entries in the
> options tab of the settings dialogue:
>
> Execute script on Startup:
> /home//username//.scripts/pulse-jack-pre-start.sh &
>
> Execute script after Startup:
> /home//username//.scripts/pulse-jack-post-start.sh & a2jmidid -e &
>
> Execute script on Shutdown:
> /home//username//.scripts/pulse-jack-pre-stop.sh & killall a2jmidid &
>
> Execute script after Shutdown:
> /home//username//.scripts/pulse-jack-post-stop.sh &
>
> If anyone has a better way to start and stop a2jmidid, I would be
> interested.
>
> Regards, Simon
>

> pulse-jack-pre-start.sh
> _____________________
> #!/bin/bash
> pacmd suspend true
>

> pulse-jack-post-start.sh
> ______________________
> #!/bin/bash
> pactl load-module module-jack-sink channels=2
> pactl load-module module-jack-source channels=2
> pacmd set-default-sink jack_out
> pacmd set-default-source jack_in
>

> pulse-jack-pre-stop.sh
> _____________________
> #!/bin/bash
> SINKID=$(pactl list | grep -B 1 "Name: module-jack-sink" | grep Module |
> sed 's/[^0-9]//g')
> SOURCEID=$(pactl list | grep -B 1 "Name: module-jack-source" | grep
> Module | sed 's/[^0-9]//g')
> pactl unload-module $SINKID
> pactl unload-module $SOURCEID
> sleep 5
>

> pulse-jack-post-stop.sh

Hi Simon,

Thanks for the info - awesome stuff.

Just a few questions. 1. There's no reason why these scripts cannot run
with 0.9.2 right?

2. what version of jackd are you using - from the repos? or have you
compiled your own with DBUS support? (jackdbus only just hit f16
recently and you are using f15)

As for your question about a2jmidid I just pkill it also.

Another script I use in f16 that I put in my path is this: (the $1
parameter is either start or stop. pre|post in yr examples). I'm a
developer so most people won't be using a lot of these services anyway,
but you can tailor it for your needs:

fedora16:~ $ cat ~/bin/audio_services
#!/bin/bash
beesu systemctl $1 nfs-idmap.service nfs-lock.service ksm.service
ksmtuned.service abrtd.service cups.socket cups.service
sm-client.service  sendmail.service ntpd.service mysqld.service
httpd.service libvirtd.service crond.service sshd.service smb.service
if [ $1 == "stop" ]
     then beesu modprobe -r ath9k
     else beesu modprobe ath9k;
fi

Cross posting to Fedora-music also as I think this is of keen interest
there (apologies)

Brendan