[PlanetCCRMA] No Video With rt-kernel

Thu Jun 23 16:43:25 PDT 2011

On 06/23/2011 04:18 PM, John Dey wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I just rejoined the list since I want to try the below listed kernel on my Lenovo T60p laptop using Gallium 0.4 driver on ATI RV530.  The system boots into command line mode and not the GUI.  Once logged-in I type startx and get a blank screen.  I did not know how to recover from that point. Looking at the archives it appears that a robust rt-kernel is not yet available.  Is this so? Is there a workaround or should I just wait.  Thanks.
>
> Name : kernel-rt
> Version : 2.6.33.14 Vendor : (none)
> Release : 149.rt31.1.fc15.ccrma

You can probably find out what went wrong by looking at
/var/log/Xorg.0.log, there should be information there on why X did not
start.

Could you tell us a bit more about the drivers you are trying to use? Is
this something you are compiling externally? 2.6.33.x is really old now
and will definitely not have the latest drivers inside (obviously). But
it even might not work with an external compiled module because it is so
old.

Not much we can do except patiently wait for the next rt kernel patch...
The problem is not that the rt patched kernel is not robust, it is just
becoming too old for current versions of distros.

If you add the planetccrma-testing repository you could test drive a
kernel based on 2.6.39.1 with threadirqs enabled, not as good as an rt
patched kernel but maybe better than the vanilla Fedora kernel.