[PlanetCCRMA] Recommended Laptop

linux media 4 linuxmedia4 at netscape.net
Sun Jun 26 19:19:27 PDT 2011

On 06/26/2011 01:20 PM, Peter Adamson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would appreciate feedback on a good laptop to use as a recording
> workstation.
>
> I have a Dell Studio which has two major drawbacks: the video card is
> incompatible with the low latency kernel, and the fan sounds like an
> airplane taking off. (I know the Dell Vostro is uber-quiet, but I am
> hesitant after the compatibility issue with the Studio, also it doesn't
> have firewire)
>
> Has anyone had a positive experience with a very quiet laptop that has
> few or no compatibility issues? How important is firewire? I will be
> purchasing it primarily for Planet CCRMA, so I want to be sure it
> works!! ;^)
>
> Cheers,
> Peter

Hi Peter,

About 8 months ago I purchased the Lenovo R400. It was from ebay and a
corporate refurb, and (probably) because of that it was stacked with all
kinds of good things and works very nicely with my CCRMA system and
purposes. The fan is completely quite. I never hear it.

I had shared all the info I learned from my friend that walked me
through buying this. The thread starts on this page...

http://ccrma-mail.stanford.edu/pipermail/planetccrma/2010-December/

The thread is called...

Running a Lenovo ThinkPad R400 or T400 on a Fedora12/CCRMA setup

Go through all the emails because there's very specific info related to
understanding what's in a laptop and how to spot when they have been
updated with newer or better components.

Hope this helps,
Rocco