[PlanetCCRMA] x fails to start with real-time kernel

craig stephenson craigstep888 at gmail.com
Mon May 2 23:35:25 PDT 2011

 Hello all.  I recently installed the real-time kernel  for Fedora 14
64-bit (although not the latest one announced today), and I ran into a
problem that I'm sure is all too familiar to you.  I have the
closed-source nvidia driver installed, and when I booted with the rt
kernel I got the error "Failed to load module "nvidia"
(module-specific error, 0) no drivers available".   I've installed the
CCRMA akmod-nvidia and kernel-rt-devel packages, but am still unable
to boot into x.   I searched online a bit, but didn't find much
information for recent Fedora releases.  Is there a current solution?
I did find a suggestion (dated 2006) to boot a standard Fedora kernel
with the nvidia driver for daily use, and the rt kernel with an open
driver for audio production.  That seems reasonable, but I don't know
how to set different drivers for different kernels.  Can this be done
within grub.conf?  Thank you for any pointers you can give.