[PlanetCCRMA] C++ development of Jack enabled applications OR the Tsunami nor Fukushima hasn't killed me yet

Devin Anderson devin at charityfinders.com
Wed May 4 13:30:01 PDT 2011

On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 1:03 PM, Sean Beeson <seanbeeson at gmail.com> wrote:

> Firstly, since I am hoping to develop editor/librarians for external
> hardware that will only be sending and receiving MIDI CCs and sysexec data,
> Is incorporating the Jack API my only option or can I do something easier
> with just ALSA and Jack will see it anyway? I read on the Jack Wiki that
> Jack doesn't handle sysexec data very well and there is even a proposal to
> give this some attention. http://tinyurl.com/midi-sysexec-proposal I want to
> be able to use these applications while I have Jack running and I have found
> you can't use the alsa utilities, if you are running Jack. Since in QjackCtl
> under the Connections everything, other than audio signals, are under the
> ALSA tab anymore. Has everyone dropped using Jack midi ports and Jack is
> making midi connections with ALSA. What is that or the difference of those?
> :-)

IMHO, this is the wrong place for this post.  Bring it up on 'jack-devel'.

BTW, I'm the author of the proposal you're referencing.  One of the
reasons I created the proposal is because I've been considering the
idea of writing an editing library for external hardware. :)

--
Devin Anderson
devin (at) charityfinders (dot) com

CharityFinders - http://www.charityfinders.com/