[PlanetCCRMA] Some questions about Chuck

luca paganotti luca.paganotti at gmail.com
Wed May 18 23:59:08 PDT 2011

Hi all,

I recently discovered the ChucK programming language and I have some
questions for you about possible applications.

I'm trying to use/evaluate the usage of faust, pd and ChucK for a single
application that is not directly related to music. I work as a developer for
noise related applications (in particular we manage aircraft noise and in
general noise pollution).

I briefly explain what I would like to do. Let's say that I have a noise
source that I would like to limit. Let's say that I measure the noise with a
microphone in the vicinity of the noise source where i think the noise could
disturb someone. The mic input is needed to compute some meaningfull indexes
in a defined time interval, let's say 1 second or more, and then this value
could be used as a reference to change the amplitude of the noise source if
it exceeds the reference value.
I make a couple of examples:

   1. maybe I need to limit the noise production of a pub where there is
   live music so to reduce noise pollution outside the pub ...
   2. maybe I gather with my friends to play some music in my house and I
   would like not to annoy my neighbours ...

I've read the ChucK docs and found that I can have analyzer units but at the
moment they are only built in (fft, ifft, ...) and that in the near future
there will be the possibility to develop my own analyzer unit ...

So my questions are:

   1. Do you think that ChucK could be a profitable choice to have this job
   done?
   2. Have you plans and timings for the user built analyzers unit support
   in ChucK?

Thanks by now for any answer.

Luca Paganotti