[PlanetCCRMA] orphaning 30+ packages

Orcan Ogetbil oget.fedora at gmail.com
Sat May 21 10:06:31 PDT 2011

Hi friends,

This was a hard email to write. I have been in the Fedora audio
creation group for a while now. Due to ongoing circumstances, I needed
to reevaluate my preferences in what I want to do. I concluded that I
have to give over some packages since I believe I am not dedicating as
much time as they deserve anymore. This will hopefully open up some
slot for me to concentrate in more core packages that I maintain and
in my upstream projects. And hopefully, people with better motivation
will pick these packages up.

I am sending this email first to the Music list before the Devel list
as usual. If you want to continue maintaining one of the packages
below, and you read this mailing list, you will have the priority.

Please pick up whatever you feel like that needs to be picked up,
otherwise the package may be dropped from Fedora:

- aldrin: Modular music sequencer/tracker. dead project. there is a
fork called neil which is active but not in Fedora. has 1 open ABRT
bug.
- armstrong: library. dead. needed by aldrin only.
- auto-buildrequires: Work out BuildRequires for rpmbuild automatically.
- bio2jack: dead library. required by k3guitune. IIRC k3guitune can be
compiled without bio2jack support.
- clthreads: library. needed by jconvolver
- creox: dead kde3 project. Real-time Sound Processor. have other
packages with similar functionality. has 1 open bug.
- kguitar: dead kde3 project. it has an unfinished kde4 port. Guitar
Tabulature Music Editor. have other packages with same functionality
- ctan-musixtex-fonts, tex-musixtex: Sophisticated music typesetting.
needed by kguitar
- esperanza: dead media player GUI for xmms2. not using anymore. xmms1
is still good :)
- flowcanvas: library. no other Fedora package uses it.
- frescobaldi: lilypond editor.
- guitarix: Mono amplifier to JACK. has very nice and responsive upstream.
- hydrogen-drumkits: this was a collection of drumkits. hydrogen has
now its own interface to download drumkits. I think there is no need
to distribute this selection.
- jack_capture: Record sound files with JACK. has nice responsive
upstream. has 1 open ABRT bug.
- jamin: JACK Audio Mastering interface. has 2 open ABRT bugs.
- jconvolver: Real-time Convolution Engine
- lv2-c++-tools: lv2 c++ support library. required by lv2-ll-plugins,
lv2-EQ10Q-plugins
- lv2-ll-plugins
- meterbridge: required by jconvolver. has 1 open ABRT bug.
- minicomputer: Software Synthesizer application
- pdf-renderer: java library. required by itext-rups. I did not meet
anyone who needed itext-rups. did you?
- pytagger: ID3 Tag Reader and Writer Library for Python 2
- raul: Realtime Audio Utility Library. no other Fedora package uses it.
- rosegarden4: MIDI, audio and notation editor. has 14 open ABRT bugs.
I was actually a comaintainer for this, but have been doing the
primary maintanence in the last 2 years.
- rtaudio: Real-time Audio I/O Library. needed by armstrong only.
- rumor: Really Unintelligent Music transcriptOR. required by
frescobaldi. has 1 open FTBFS bug #704535. I proposed a patch for the
bug in the bugzilla.
- tse3: dead library. needed by kguitar
- unalz: decompression utility for alz files.
- unoconv: Tool to convert between any document format supported by
LibreOffice. has 1 open ABRT bug.
- zita-convolver: Convolution engine library. needed by guitarix and jconvolver
- zita-resampler: Fast, high-quality sample rate conversion library.
needed by guitarix

Best,
Orcan