[PlanetCCRMA] Reliable version of Fedora using rt-kernel?

Mon Nov 14 10:57:17 PST 2011

On 11/13/2011 11:09 PM, mark wrote:
> Hello,
>
> as far as i know the Kernel 2.6.39.4 is already RT patched.

No, that is incorrect.

Parts of the rt patch set migrated to mainline in the 2.6.39.x cycle,
most importantly threaded irqs, but 2.6.39.x definitely does not have
all of the rt patch. Not only the kernel has to be built with the right
options but you have to include a kernel boot line parameter to activate
threaded irqs.

The only (current) kernel versions to have rt patches available are
2.6.33.x, 3.0.x and 3.2-rc1. The 3.1 kernel series will not have an rt
patch.

>I have tried
> to compile Kernel 3 with patch at debian 6 but it didn`t to run better.
> The latency was worse than without the patch. Anyway don`t forget to
> input those two lines for jackd into the limits.conf and add your user
> to the desired group.
>
> i would suggest to use either Kernel 2.6.39.4 or just Ubuntu Studio
> 11.04 (not 11.10!!!).

As this list is about Planet CCRMA running on Fedora I would instead
suggest Fedora 14 and 2.6.33.x :-)

So, the most tested, reliable and best performing rt kernel currently is
2.6.33.x and that means Fedora 14 at most (the default startup system in
15/16 needs newer versions of the kernel). Next down is 3.0.9-rt25 which
could be used in Fedora 15 or 16. Next is the default Fedora kernel.

-- Fernando