[PlanetCCRMA] [PlanetCCRMANews] Planet CCRMA on Fedora 16

Mon Nov 14 12:33:02 PST 2011

On 11/14/2011 11:56 AM, David Björkevik wrote:
> Hi Fernando, and thank you for all the time you put into this project,
>
> On 2011-11-14 20:47, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
>> On 11/12/2011 11:16 AM, Bob Wilkinson wrote:
>>> I just thought you were having so much fun working out the bugs of 15 that you didn't want to deal with 16 yet!
>>
>> Ha ha... fun fun fun!
>
> Just an innocent question: did you ever consider rebasing the project to
> CentOS/ScientificLinux/RHEL for instance?  PlanetCCRMA could finally
> catch up, no more cat-and-mouse game, and we could all enjoy Gnome 2 :-)

There is an old version for CentOS 5.x but it has not been updated for a
very long time. It would be possible to create one of 6.x, of course,
but then I would need 36 hour days :-)

It would also be a tradeoff, it would work well until a key application
needs a newer version of, say, gtk and then the upgrade path for that
application will stop right there.

I'm not saying I enjoy tracking Fedora (quite the opposite), just that
the "stable" world of CentOS/etc would bring its own set of problems.