[PlanetCCRMA] Life is Not Good with 3.x-rt and Nvidia Graphics

S C Rigler riglersc at gmail.com
Sat Mar 17 17:50:10 PDT 2012

On Sat, Mar 17, 2012 at 6:31 PM, Brendan Jones
<brendan.jones.it at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 03/17/2012 09:16 PM, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> > On 03/17/2012 08:58 AM, S C Rigler wrote:
> >> Yesterday I decided to go from a working F14 installation using a
> >> 2.6.33-rt x86_64 kernel using the proprietary Nvidia driver to F16 using
> >> whatever Nvidia driver would work.  So far I have yet to find something
> >> that works.
> >>
> >> The stock Fedora kernel works fine running either nouveau or the
> >> proprietary Nvidia driver.  I'm typing this while I am booted into
> >> 3.2.9-2 running nouveau.
> >
> > Good to hear that at least that is working...
> >

> FWIW, I am having no issues using the latest CCRMA kernels, nouveau or
> the patched 290.10 prop driver (hw is 1040/rev a1).
>
> I do get kernel oops'es in VirtualBox/KVM that I don't with the stock
> kernel but that is another (for upstream).
>
> One recommendation though, is you should really ensure your system clean
> of the prop drivers (and your initrd) when falling back to the nouveau
> drivers. Use the --uninstall option from nvidia, then reinstall
> mesa-GL*, otherwise everything becomes a little confused.
>
> regards,
>
> Brendan

I pretty much started out trying to make nouveau work since I don't like
having to patch the proprietary driver.

FWIW, both nouveau and the proprietary driver show similar behavior on the
stock kernel when I try to boot it with "threadirqs".

I'm still trying to get some good log messages. I have plenty from earlier
today, but they weren't consistent with each incident.

--Steve