[PlanetCCRMA] GUI Issues with Dell Vostro

Joe Hartley jh at brainiac.com
Mon Mar 26 08:08:39 PDT 2012

On Mon, 26 Mar 2012 14:13:21 -0400
Peter Adamson <pga at rochma.com> wrote:
> I have tried both Fedora 15 and 16 and discovered Gnome 3. Very sad for
> Linux. After 12 years as a user and staunch supporter of Red Hat/Fedora
> I have no choice but to move on. I find Gnome 3 simply unusable.
>
> What would be the best alternative Linux distro to use with the Planet
> CCRMA suite of applications (principally Jack, Ardour, Rosegarden,
> QSynth and Hydrogen)?

I tried Gnome 3 and really disliked it as well.  It felt counter-
intuitive to the way I work, which is admittedly simpler than some.
I didn't like Gnome 2 either, because I don't have much use for
bells and whistles and widgets.  Temperature and weather on my
desktop?  No thank you!

I have been using Fluxbox as my window manager for years now and I
like it very much.  It's lightweight, does what I want and not much
more.  If you like the Fedora environment (and there's a lot to like),
try just changing your window manager.  Besides Fluxbox, there's XFCE,
which people seem to like as a Gnomish desktop,

       Joe Hartley - UNIX/network Consultant - jh at brainiac.com