[PlanetCCRMA] Hammerfall-DSP Multiface problems

Wed May 30 11:05:45 PDT 2012

On 05/30/2012 09:46 AM, plutek wrote:
> i've just done some more testing in fc16 (x86_64)...
>
> kernel: 3.1.0-7.fc16.x86_64
> alsa-tools: 1.0.24.1-3.1.fc16.ccrma.x86_64
>
> this combination seems to be solid, both for jack2 and for hdspmixer; don't know if that gives you any clues about what's going in the 3.2.17 ccrma rt kernel or the 1.0.25 alsa-tools.
>
> probably there's no real point in me doing an fc14 installation, since the above works on fc16, eh?!
>
> let me know if there's anything else i can test for you, or if there's any ccrma rt kernel that might work for me, even if it's 3.1.x!

I just tested on my Lenovo T61 laptop (fc16, x86_64, 3.2.x + rt,
alsa-tools 1.0.25). I was able to test both with a PCMCIA card and a
PCIexpress card (plus a Multiface II) - the laptop has both types of slots.

PCMCIA: the kernel claims no IO box was connected but the firmware
somehow loads anyway and the card appears as an ALSA device in
/proc/asound/cards. Hdspmixer starts, but has a "HWdep ioctl failed.
Metering stopped" error and the meters do not work. It does initialize
the mixer matrix properly and I get sound out the headphones.

PCIexpress: the kernel finds the IO box and loads the firmware,
hdspmixer runs and the meters work. I get sound out of the headphones.

In both cases audio works fine, I get no xruns and jack does not hang
(sorry, can't reproduce your problem).

Anyway, there is something fishy because the behavior is different for
the two slot cards. Same kernel, same everything, the only difference is
where the card is plugged in. Very weird.