[PlanetCCRMA] broken windows manager

Paul Coccoli pcoccoli at gmail.com
Sun Oct 14 09:49:30 PDT 2012

On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 4:05 AM, Oded Ben-Tal <oded at ccrma.stanford.edu> wrote:
> thanks. It turns out that if term was the first application I opened it
> got focus and I was able to repair the window manager.

If you don't already have an open terminal, you should be able to use
Ctrl-Alt-F3 (or some other function number) to get to a console.
After logging in, you can run "DISPLAY=:0 <program name>" where
<program name> can be xterm, a window manager, etc.  Then switch back
to your X session with Alt-F2 (or possibly a different function
number; the keys seem to have changed over time).  You'll see the
program you started from the console.