[PlanetCCRMA] White screen of (near) death with rt kernel (Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop, multi-boot Fedora 19 / Windows Vista)

wleeds at comcast.net wleeds at comcast.net
Wed Aug 28 18:20:38 PDT 2013

My Dell Inspiron 1501 (Radeon Xpress 200M) boots a non-realtime kernel (3.10.7-200.fc19.x86_64) into LXDE just fine (with the nomodeset boot option), but with 3.8.13-201.rt14.1.fc19.ccrma.x86_64.rt, instead of the desktop being displayed, a (typically mostly) white screen is displayed. I know Linux is operating "under there" because i can blindly shift to a text console (ctl-alt-f2), login, and issue "sudo service lightdm restart", which 1 out of about 100 times will result in a functional desktop. I've tried numerous boot options, which have occasionally, but inconsistently helped. It appears that the vesa driver, rather than a radeon driver, is operating. Any suggestions for getting my desktop to come up consistently? Thanks. Wayne.