[PlanetCCRMA] NVIDIA and RT Kernel (Fedora 20)

Jeremy M Booth bq20 at comcast.net
Mon Apr 21 18:30:35 PDT 2014

If it helps to keep track of things to reinstall that's fine but
technically you shouldn't have to do that.  All the akmod is,
is the proprietary nvidia driver repackaged, so unless your machine
is over a decade old it shouldn't take more than 3 or 4 minutes.  Some
akmods compile right after you install them so I guess just pay
attention to what's going on before you reboot as well. Also every time
you install a new kernel it will have to recompile itself, which it does
automatically. You need the kernel devel packages first, because the
akmod needs them to compile. Otherwise I'm not sure whether it warns
you about the dependencies or not.  I don't see why any spin would
hurt so long as it's still fedora.  So if you're installing from scratch
this is what I'd do:

first to make downloads more efficient:

yum install yum-plugin-fastestmirror
yum update

1. make sure you have basic software development packages
installed so you can compile stuff
2.  install the kernel-devel packages for stock kernel
3. uninstall any other type of nvidia driver and/or noveau
4. install nvidia akmod while running stock kernel
5. reboot and make sure akmod working first with stock kernel
6. once it does then install the CCRMA stuff/realtime kernel but make
sure you also install the kernel-rt-devel* BEFORE you reboot

Possible troubleshooting:
The akmod installation scripts should disable noveau so if you run into
problems, like a blank screen on startup, go to a virtual terminal by
hitting CTRL+ALT+F2, login and do a "lsmod |grep noveau" (without the
quotes) and see if there's a module called noveau and if there is you
have to get rid of it.  If that command shows nothing than do a "lsmod | grep nvidia"
and if that doesn't it means the nvidia module either didn't compile
or is not loading.

This setup definitely works though as I've been using the
fedora/ccrma/akmod combination for several releases now, but like you
said the information on the web is very spotty feel free to report back
with any problems.