[PlanetCCRMA] NVIDIA and RT Kernel (Fedora 20)

Steve Duell steveduell at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 21:21:19 PDT 2014

Wow, guys - you did it!  Finally, after over 2 weeks, I've got an RT kernel
working with the proprietary NVIDIA drivers.  Thanks to you, I can now have
super low latency AND lots of windows open with no screen corruption.  Well
done!

When I tried to do this on my own, I had to bounce back and forth between
various sources, sometimes reading long threads and hunting down specific
information in each one.  Now, in order to save fellow adventurers on this
path from future headaches, I'd like to review the steps I took in one
clean, step-by-step procedure:

1) Install Fedora

2) Make downloads more efficient by installing a plugin for yum:

yum install yum-plugin-fastestmirror
yum update

3) Add the RPM Fusion repositories so you can have access to necessary
packages outside of official Fedora ones:

su -c 'yum localinstall --nogpgcheck
http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/rpmfusion-free-release-$(rpm -E
%fedora).noarch.rpm
http://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/fedora/rpmfusion-nonfree-release-$(rpm-E
%fedora).noarch.rpm'

4) Make sure you have basic software development packages
installed so you can compile stuff:

yum groupinstall "Development Tools"

5) Uninstall any other type of nvidia and/or noveau driver. Search theses
terms in the package manager and remove any installed packages.

6) While still running stock kernel, install the most recent nvidia akmod:

sudo yum install akmod-nvidia.x86_64 xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs.x86_64

   (note: replace the x86_64 with i686 if you're running in 32bit.  You'll
also need to install the xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs.i686 alongside x86_64 if
you want to run 32bit opengl apps.)

7) Reboot and verify that the nvidia drivers work with the stock kernel.
It may take a while for it to finish booting, as the driver is compiled
from the akmod at boot time.
Possible troubleshooting:
The akmod installation scripts should disable noveau so if you run into
problems, like a blank screen on startup, go to a virtual terminal by
hitting CTRL+ALT+F2, login and do a "lsmod |grep noveau" (without the
quotes) and see if there's a module called noveau and if there is you have
to get rid of it.  If that command shows nothing than do a "lsmod | grep
nvidia" and if that doesn't it means the nvidia module either didn't
compile or is not loading.

8) Check to see if NVIDIA installed cleanly.  You should have access to
'Applications > Settings > Nvidia X Server Settings' from the application
launcher.  Or, if you want to check in the terminal, you can:

lsmod |grep nvidia

which should output something like this:
nvidia               9665481  45
drm                   230882  4 nvidia
i2c_core               28502  2 drm,nvidia

9) Now, you can get ready to install the realtime kernel.  First, add the
ccrma repositories:

rpm -Uvh
http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/mirror/fedora/linux/planetccrma/20/i386/planetccrma-repo-1.1-3.fc20.ccrma.noarch.rpm

note: the above command is only for Fedora 20. Commands to add repositories
for other versions can be found at:
http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/installplanettwenty.html

10) Through the package manager, install "Planet CCRMA core packages
(kernel and drivers)".  Take note, as it's installing, whether the kernel
is PAE (physical address extension) or not, as you'll need to know for the
next step.

11) Install either the kernel-rt-devel or kernel-rtPAE-devel package which
matches the CCRMA kernel you just installed.

12) Reboot and give the system some extra time to compile the NVIDIA
drivers.  After a while (about 3 minutes in my case), the system should
finish booting and you'll have access to the Nvidia X Server Setings as
described in step 8.

Done!

Good luck.

Thanks again for all the help in getting my install finished.  MUCH
appreciated!

-Steve