[PlanetCCRMA] Fedora Installation help

Tue Jul 1 10:59:39 PDT 2014

(I changed the subject line, please don't answer on the wrong thread...)

On 06/30/2014 12:31 PM, Brian wrote:
> I posted several months ago whining because I was not able to get Fedora
> running after I upgraded my dual-boot system to Windows 8.1.
>
> Mostly I work in Windows because I do video work and linux video has the
> toxic lack of codec licenses--and then  Audacity, and the GIMP, and LMMS
> and Hydrogen and ZynAddSubFX and many other Linux gems have been ported
> to Windows.
>
> It seems that my suspicion that Windows was inhibiting the Fedora boot was
> correct, and I'm not aware that this problem has been solved.  After a
> long history
> of struggling with ALSA/PulseAudio conflicts, I have settled for Ubuntu
> Studio on a
> late-model laptop (with no problems) to accompany my Windows 8.1 video
> machine.

Glad you managed to make things work somehow!

I just installed Fedora 20 on a new laptop - for that I disabled secure
boot in the BIOS just in case. I did not try to make Fedora coexist with
windows 8.1, as I normally do I just replaced the whole disk and
installed just Fedora. So far so good... High DPI displays are
problematic, 2660x1600 looks gorgeous but the desktops are not up to
this pixel abuse yet :-)