[PlanetCCRMA] problems with cpupower under ccrma kernels for Fedora 20

Burton, John jburton at mteq.com
Mon Mar 2 15:53:40 PST 2015

Hi,
I'm having problems setting the cpu frequency governors when running under
a ccrma RT kernel - I've tried several different ccrma rt kernels with no
success.

Basically cpupower works under all my stock Fedora 20 kernels, but does not
work under any of the ccrma RT kernels. cpupower frequency-info shows the
governors, but cpupower frequency-set returns an error. The system defaults
to "powersave" and I need to have it in "performance". I have a startup
script that is supposed to set the governor to 'performance' on boot up,
but it fails when booting a ccrma kernel. Has anyone else had similar
problems?

For example (CCRMA RT Kernel):

root at iris ~]# uname -r
3.14.29-200.rt26.1.fc20.ccrma.x86_64+rt
[root at iris ~]# cpupower frequency-info
analyzing CPU 0:
  driver: intel_pstate
  CPUs which run at the same hardware frequency: 0
  CPUs which need to have their frequency coordinated by software: 0
  maximum transition latency: 0.97 ms.
  hardware limits: 800 MHz - 3.00 GHz
  available cpufreq governors: performance, powersave
  current policy: frequency should be within 800 MHz and 3.00 GHz.
                  The governor "powersave" may decide which speed to use
                  within this range.
  current CPU frequency is 804 MHz (asserted by call to hardware).
  boost state support:
    Supported: yes
    Active: yes
    2700 MHz max turbo 4 active cores
    2700 MHz max turbo 3 active cores
    2900 MHz max turbo 2 active cores
    3000 MHz max turbo 1 active cores
[root at iris ~]# cpupower frequency-set -g performance
Setting cpu: 0
Error setting new values. Common errors:
- Do you have proper administration rights? (super-user?)
- Is the governor you requested available and modprobed?
- Trying to set an invalid policy?
- Trying to set a specific frequency, but userspace governor is not
available,
   for example because of hardware which cannot be set to a specific
frequency
   or because the userspace governor isn't loaded?
[root at iris ~]# modprobe cpufreq-performance
[root at iris ~]# cpupower frequency-set -g performance
Setting cpu: 0
Error setting new values. Common errors:
- Do you have proper administration rights? (super-user?)
- Is the governor you requested available and modprobed?
- Trying to set an invalid policy?
- Trying to set a specific frequency, but userspace governor is not
available,
   for example because of hardware which cannot be set to a specific
frequency
   or because the userspace governor isn't loaded?

As you can see, I am running as root, the governor is available and
modprobed, it is a valid policy, and I'm not trying to set a specific
frequency. Obviously not a common error and it is particular to the CCRMA
Fedora 20 kernels

For reference, I rebooted the machine into a stock Fedora 20 kernel:

[root at iris john]# uname -r
3.18.7-100.fc20.x86_64
[root at iris john]# cpupower frequency-info
analyzing CPU 0:
  driver: intel_pstate
  CPUs which run at the same hardware frequency: 0
  CPUs which need to have their frequency coordinated by software: 0
  maximum transition latency: 0.97 ms.
  hardware limits: 800 MHz - 3.00 GHz
  available cpufreq governors: performance, powersave
  current policy: frequency should be within 800 MHz and 3.00 GHz.
                  The governor "performance" may decide which speed to use
                  within this range.
  current CPU frequency is 800 MHz (asserted by call to hardware).
  boost state support:
    Supported: yes
    Active: yes
    2700 MHz max turbo 4 active cores
    2700 MHz max turbo 3 active cores
    2900 MHz max turbo 2 active cores
    3000 MHz max turbo 1 active cores
[root at iris john]# cpupower frequency-set -g powersave
Setting cpu: 0
Setting cpu: 1
Setting cpu: 2
Setting cpu: 3
Setting cpu: 4
Setting cpu: 5
Setting cpu: 6
Setting cpu: 7
[root at iris john]# cpupower frequency-set -g performance
Setting cpu: 0
Setting cpu: 1
Setting cpu: 2
Setting cpu: 3
Setting cpu: 4
Setting cpu: 5
Setting cpu: 6
Setting cpu: 7

Can anyone provide a suggestion of how to proceed ?

John