[Stk] Bug in RtAudio or base class?

John Heenan john@auscyber.com
Sun, 17 Nov 2002 11:38:26 +1030

Hi Gary

First new test results are encouraging.

Regrettably the effects tcl GUI demo is still not working. Yes it did work
before driver upgrade.

I have recompiled with the new WvIn.cpp and WvOut.cpp files you sent me and
left record.cpp with the original line
input = new RtWvIn(channels);

Windows regards it as the responsibility of software to set card input at 8
or 16 bit. However I did not need to make additions to your software as I
used Windows Sound Recorder to set the card at 16 bits, for recording and
playback prior to using record.exe from the STK.

What can be set from the system are two audio driver parameters for both
recording and playback.  These are 'sample rate conversion quality' and
'acceleration'. For both recording and playback sample rate conversion
quality was left at 'good' (the lowest of three settings'. There are four
acceleration settings. These are
None - Emulation only
Basic Acceleration
Standard Acceleration: use this setting to enable only standard DirectSound
acceleration features. (Recommended)
Full acceleration

I got best results with the non recommended setting: Basic Acceleration.

The best results do not include echoing or reverberation but do include what
superficially sounds like as if the recording level had been left too high.
I cannot eliminate this by reducing the recording level.

John