[Stk] STK-powered kaleidoscope for Windows

Jim Bumgardner Jim Bumgardner <jim.bumgardner@gmail.com>
Thu, 23 Sep 2004 01:16:29 -0700

Hi Folks,

I'm working on some software that synchronizes OpenGL graphics with STK sound.
I've got an early example that you may enjoy playing with.  It's a
kaleidoscope that
contains a somewhat dumbed-down version of Perry Cook's "Ragamatic".  It's
called "Trance Scope"

The kaleidoscope contains 32 different Hindu religious images and uses
a fractal technique
to produce ornate patterns.  The amplitude of the different strings in
the Drone, the tablas
and the sitar each control different aspects of the animation.

If you are unlucky enough to have a Windows machine (and lucky enough to have a
fast CPU and a decent graphics card), you can check out a preview here:

http://www.krazydad.com/TranceScope.zip

To keep the size down, I've removed the voice drums, and I've added a
new class for reading raw samples as resources, so they can be
embedded in the EXE.  The program
will eventually modify the music probability settings in the music
over time (or in response to MIDI input), but right now it's at a
constant setting.

If you manage to get it working, you can try the following:

Move the mouse up/down to increase the motion.

Move the mouse left/right to change the mirror aperture.

Press the numbers 0,1,2,3,4 etc. to get different levels of recursion in the
fractal.  0 produces a "pure kaleidoscope".

Press M to turn the mirrors off.

I'm hoping to eventually make a version of this in the OpenGL enabled version of
ChucK.  More kaleidoscopes (including a few Macintosh ones) can be found on
my website.

- Jim Bumgardner