[Stk] Stk and Python

Ross Clement rclement@dmu.ac.uk
Sat, 15 Oct 2005 21:41:31 +0100

Hi everyone. Thanks for the warm greetings after my first message to the
list.

I'm curious whether there are any methods for using Stk classes from
python. While I don't often use python myself, I do seem to end up
recommending it to people who are interested in learning their first
language and want to do a lot of fun stuff with a minimum learning
curve. I'm not aware of what audio synthesis libraries are available for
python. Without thinking about things carefully, I'd suspect that using
Stk in python wouldn't be a simple matter of making python bindings for
Stk as that would mean that there would be interpreted code processing
realtime streams of samples.

I note that the "Silence" synthesis engine for python seems to have made
some use of Stk among other libraries, but haven't used this.

http://www.csounds.com/gogins/silence/

So, how would people summarise the current state of play in terms of
accessing Stk functions from python?

Cheers,

Ross-c