[Stk] Ruby extensions with STK

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb at cesmail.net
Thu, 06 Dec 2007 19:33:55 -0800

David Michael wrote:

> Awesome Ed, now I really wish I had gone to RubyConf.
> Thanks for the link, super valuable information in there.
>
> That presentation sparks another thread of thought I have been having
> which is to explore the how one might use the STK/RtAudio with Erlang.
> The project I am working on is somewhat reliant on concurrent events -
> and multimachine concurrency would be outstanding. I am seriously green
> when it comes to Erlang, but I wonder if you might have any links, tips,
> or general ideas for how one might use the STK/RtAudio or audio in
> general with Erlang. I am assuming that I would need to program my own
> modules.
>
> David

Well ... the same people who "wrote the book on Ruby" -- Pragmatic
Programmers -- also have a Programming Erlang book by Joe Armstrong. I
think that covers hacking into C code, but I haven't started really
digging into Erlang. Right now I'm getting back up to speed on CSound
and up to speed on the One Laptop Per Child audio software. It's Python
based and pretty impressive.

There is also a Ruby library/gem called EventMachine, and there is an
Erlang-like lightweight process capability in the works there. I don't
remember how far along it is, but if you go to RubyForge, you can see
what it's all about.