[Stk] fast time domain filter implementation

Emile Vrijdags emile.vrijdags at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 08:12:33 PDT 2008

The problem is that the profiler (vtune) requires the project to be
built in debug mode (afaik: I've been using it since last week), and no
optimizations are present. So I probably have a distorted image of the
performance of that function.

I  tried out some extra (all i could find) optimization flags, (standard
it was configured with the /O2 flag) and got about 30 to 40% more
performance with all optimizations on, when timing a filtering loop with
clock() in time.h (probably not ideal).
Also I noticed that the intel compiler has lots more optimization flags
than the vs2005 compiler, and with the same optimizations the intel
compiler seems still a little faster. I used: /O3, /Og, /Op, /GA, /Qfp,
/Qaxt, /Qxt, /Qparallel

In my full application using opengl in multithreaded environment (opengl
renderloop, an update filterparameters loop, and the stk callback loop)
there is an even more significant performance gain between vs2005 and
intel compilers. I can use about double the amount of filters before the
audio starts to be chopped up.