[Stk] pulseaudio backend for RtAudio

Tristan Matthews le.businessman at gmail.com
Mon Nov 1 13:53:55 PDT 2010

2010/10/14 Stephen Sinclair <sinclair at music.mcgill.ca>

> Afaik there tends to be a lot of mixed appreciation of PulseAudio; at
> least on the Linux Audio Developer list, it seems to be a point of
> contention.  Personally I don't find it affects my usage of the OS
> very much, although maybe it does things in the background that I'm
> not always aware of.  (Like mixing outputs of different applications.)

My main motivation was that with the ALSA and Jack backends, as far as I
know, you can't have two instances of stk applications running, or any
program using the soundcard and an stk application.
For example, if you run two instances of projects/examples/crtsine, you get:

RtApiAlsa::getDeviceInfo: snd_pcm_open error for device (hw:0,0), Device or
resource busy.
RtApiAlsa::probeDeviceOpen: pcm device (hw:0,0) won't open for output.

In other frameworks (for example GStreamer's ALSA and Jack plugins), this is
not the case. It could just be a simple matter of improving RtApiAlsa and
RtApiJack, rather than implementing a whole other backend. I think this
would enhance Stk's overall usability tremendously.

--
Tristan Matthews
email: tristan at sat.qc.ca
web: http://tristanswork.blogspot.com