[Stk] relationship between rtaudio buffer size and jack buffer size?

Stéphane Letz letz at grame.fr
Sun Sep 11 02:11:54 PDT 2011

Le 11 sept. 2011 à 03:50, Gary Scavone a écrit :

> Hi Iain,
>
> The rtaudio buffer size is the number of sample frames passed back and forth between RtAudio and Jack.  I assume (but I'm not sure) the jack buffer size specified when starting the jack server corresponds to the number of sample frames that jack passes and receives from the underlying audio hardware it interfaces with.

Yes it does.

In some cases and depending of what underlying audio API JACK uses to access the hardware, some buffering may be used, but *not* at the JACK level, only at the "underlying API" level (I'm thinking at PortAudio here...)

>  Jack probably can do internal buffering but it might be best to set these to the same value.

Nope. Jack use a single buffer size all along the chain.

Stéphane Letz