[Stk] STK v. 4.4.3 - Error building using VS2008 (Windows)

Richard Dobson richarddobson at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Jan 16 03:31:36 PST 2012

Not sure what you mean by "classically defined"; it is pretty much
standard in modern unix compilers including gcc, but it is not an
ANSI-standard mandated symbol (any more than unistd.h is), and in
Microsoft compilers it and several similar have been defined
conditionally via the _USE_MATH_DEFINES symbol at least since Visual
Studio 2005, possibly earlier, but not as far back as VC++v6.

Clearly there can be a lot of legacy code that defines its own symbol
for Pi etc; so M_PI is not something that can be taken for granted in
any cross-platform system, and will always need to be checked for one
way or another. For audio purposes the "standard" M_PI defintion (some
20 decimal places) is plenty sufficient, but for some precision-critical
science or maths tasks one may want the extra precision of a long
double, in which case a custom definition will still likely be needed.

Richard Dobson