[Stk] rtaudio / pulse & build

Stephen Sinclair sinclair at music.mcgill.ca
Mon Jul 23 08:27:30 PDT 2012

On Sun, Jul 22, 2012 at 11:34 PM, Tristan Matthews
<le.businessman at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2012/7/22 Stephen Sinclair <sinclair at music.mcgill.ca>:
>> By the way it's weird that "configure" is in the repository.  I
>> thought it was working all fine until I thought of running autoconf to
>> re-generate configure, so I almost missed this.  I only did it because
>> I happened to notice that librtaudio.pc wasn't being generated.
>> (Which it now is.)
>
> I agree, however, the "configure" script is also in the RtAudio
> svn...maybe Gary can clarify why? I've seen this before for projects
> that might be distributed on systems that lack autoconf, and therefore
> can't generate their own configure files. I'll delete it in the
> pkgconfig branch in any case.

Actually that might get confusing.. it might be better to wait for
upstream to delete it.  Although.. maybe git handles double-deletes
well enough...

I mean it doesn't hurt _that_ much to leave configure in there, but
every time you autoconf it thinks you've made all these changes.  On
the other hand, it does make it "just work" on systems that don't have
autoconf installed, but that's usually left for tarball releases.

>> Looking at it.. it would be interesting maybe to add -L and -l and
>> -framework flags to librtaudio.pc.in as necessary for whatever audio
>> backend is compiled in.
>
> This would be the case for just pulse, alsa, jack, oss and coreaudio I guess?

Yes.  I also use MingW-gcc on Windows, which may require -lwinmm or
-ldsound for example, but maybe handling MingW is future work..

I'm not sure what is considered best practice for pkg-config but my
impression was that you should add dependencies to the Libs and Cflags
lines unless you can refer to other pc files using Requires.

Steve