[Stk] Pops and Crackling on Windows

Ted Stockwell emorning at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 30 14:59:50 PDT 2013

Hi All,

I'm a programmer that is totally new to sound synthesis and STK.
I've built the demo project on Windows XP, I'm playing with it, and I have some questions...

When I play a SKINI file in realtime I hear a lot of pops and crackling/buzzes at specific times in the sequence (demo Clarinet -or -if scores/bookert.ski).
The pops and crackling always happens at the same points in the sequence.
I've noticed that my CPU usage tops out when the crackling starts (BTW, I have 3.4 Ghz Pentium 4 CPU).
If I generate a .wav file instead and play the .wav file then I don't hear any crackling (demo Clarinet -if scores/bookert.ski -ow clarinet.wav) .
I figure the issue must be related to the realtime synthesis of the sound (but I suppose it could be the actual playing of the sound).

I've tried increasing RT_BUFFER_SIZE from 512 to 4096 but that made no difference.
Can anybody suggest a remedy?
My ultimate goal is too use STK on a Raspberry Pi so I'll need to understand/solve this issue in order to be comfortable moving forward.

Thanks in advance,

-ted stockwell

PS: I've ordered a copy of Real Sound Synthesis for Interactive Applications but I haven't received it yet, so I don't understand how any of this stuff works :-).