[Stk] Stream underflow errors on Windows

Matt Day matt.day at york.ac.uk
Mon Jun 10 08:15:22 PDT 2013

I suspect this may be a common issue although my searches did not reveal
any discussion of it. Apologies if I have missed something.

When building applications under Windows that use full-duplex realtime
audio, I always see stream underflow errors which result in
discontinuities in the output audio. I have tried increasing the buffer
size, and this usually reduces how often it occurs, but it will still
invariably occur once. The issue can be seen just by building and
running the duplex example under the free version of Visual Studio. I
have run this example on 3 different machines and all three exhibit the
issue (either running WinXP or WinXP x64 edition).

I would be most grateful if anyone can point me to any information on
the issue and why it might occur.

Many thanks,
Matt