[Stk] stk build system ported to automake/libtool

Felipe Sateler fsateler at gmail.com
Tue Oct 1 08:38:18 PDT 2013

Doing autogen.sh + make & make distclean leaves cruft in the source directory:

% git status
# On branch automake
# Untracked files:
#   (use "git add <file>..." to include in what will be committed)
#
# Makefile.in
# aclocal.m4
# config.h.in
# config/
# include/Makefile.in
# m4/
# projects/demo/Makefile.in
# projects/effects/Makefile.in
# projects/eguitar/Makefile.in
# projects/examples/Makefile.in
# projects/ragamatic/Makefile.in
# src/Makefile.in

Isn't that supposed to be cleaned by distlcean?

On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 9:35 AM, Stephen Sinclair
<sinclair at music.mcgill.ca> wrote:
> To follow up, I decided to test cross-compiling for fun.
>
> Using the automake branch, I managed to build and test Windows
> executables of the demo applications under Linux using MingW and Wine
> using the following configure line:
>
> ./configure --host i686-w64-mingw32 LDFLAGS="-static-libgcc -static-libstdc++"
>
> To test, I had to modify the launch scripts (e.g Physical) like so:
>
> from:
> wish < tcl/Physical.tcl | ./demo Clarinet -or -ip
>
> to:
> wish < tcl/Physical.tcl | wine ./demo.exe Clarinet -or -ip
>
> (Notice the wish shell is running under Linux while the demo.exe
> executable is running under Wine -- I haven't tried running Wish under
> Wine.)
>
> Unfortunately it seems that it won't build the DLL files this way, it
> only seems to generate static .a libraries, but it's a pretty good
> proof of concept nonetheless.  Haven't tested the generated
> executables on a real Windows machine yet.
>
> Steve
>

> On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 1:53 PM, Stephen Sinclair
> <sinclair at music.mcgill.ca> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> While we're talking about re-organizing things, I took the liberty of
>> playing with porting the build system to automake.  Checkout my
>> "automake" branch to see:
>>
>> https://github.com/radarsat1/stk/tree/automake
>>
>> I'm not suggesting to necessarily merge this right away or even at all
>> (if there is no consensus), but I thought it might be nice to give an
>> idea of how it could work.  The workflow is very similar to the
>> existing autoconf-based build, but all the complexities of install
>> targets, cross-compiling, dist-making, etc are handled by automake.
>>
>> In addition, building outside the source directory works.  (So-called
>> "VPATH builds")  This allows e.g. to have one build directory
>> configured for debug, and another for release, alleviating the need
>> for those Debug and Release folders.
>>
>> The Makefile.in files are replaced by rather simpler Makefile.am files.
>>
>> The user must run "autogen.sh" instead of running "autoconf" directly.
>>  The autogen.sh script is set up to automatically create a "build"
>> directory configured for debug mode.
>>
>> Tested so far on Linux and Mac only, with automake-1.11.
>>

>> Steve

Saludos,
Felipe Sateler