[Stk] iOS static library

Ariel Elkin arielelkin at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 19:08:20 PST 2014

Hi all,

I've been thinking about easier ways to integrate the STK with iOS projects on Xcode, and I have implemented an idea that was offered a couple of times before on this mailing list (by Steve and Richard if I remember correctly):

https://github.com/thestk/stk/pull/8

It's a simple Xcode project that builds a static library. It contains references to the iOS-friendly STK files, groups them in a way that's more familiar to developers on the Xcode environment (subfolders, headers next to implementation files, etc.), and includes build settings for the relevant architectures.

For now, I placed it along with a readme file, inside a new STK for iOS directory (as the names might otherwise conflict).

It's a very thin layer on top of the existing STK, but it packages it in a way that will be familiar to iOS developers.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts, in particular with regards to these points:

1) Although the Xcode project builds a static library, it's currently only compiling Stk.cpp, and the user is advised to manually add the files they require (you could say it's more of a pseudo dynamic library…) It was either that or have the static library compile every single source file. But that didn't seem right as most use cases of the STK don't require compiling 100 source files… But I think that's the approach you've taken for the STK's build system on other platforms. So would you suggest having a static library for iOS that compiles every source file or one that requires the user to cherry pick the files required?

2) Should this Xcode project go into a separate directory as I currently put it or should it go elsewhere?

Cheers

Ariel