[Stk] Blit error?

Sean Luke sean at cs.gmu.edu
Tue Sep 22 06:07:00 PDT 2020

Hi all from Washington, DC.  I am comparing the code in Blit.cpp against the original paper here:

	https://ccrma.stanford.edu/~stilti/papers/blit.pdf

... and have come across two oddities.

0. The paper says that M as: "M is the largest odd integer not exceeding the period P in samples", and describes M as

	M = 2 * Floor[P/2] + 1

(and this is what Blit.cpp does) But these two things are not the same.  If P is an even number, then M = P + 1.  That is, it exceeds P.  I think I am misunderstanding something, and was hoping you might either be able to set me straight.

1. The paper describes M as "the number of harmonics" (page 5, top left paragraph).  This doesn't seem to be true: if M is close to P, then it must be describing approximately *twice* the "number of harmonics" before we exceed Nyquist.  Indeed Blit.cpp has a variable called maxHarmonics and M is about twice that.  Wanted to make sure the paper's description is incorrect.

Sean Luke